Thursday, June 2, 2011

Our 5 babies are still alive

Our babies our all still alive in the lab, well almost babies, they have a way to go yet. So the report is as follows, and I will try to explain it as clear as I can for those of you who are reading and aren't going through IVF, it gets quite confusing.

So the scientist rang again this morning and I was so nervous waiting, I tell you what its terrible, I am just glad they ring early in the morning. So all 5 embryos are fine. We have three 4cell embryos, one 2cell embryo and one 6cell embryo.The 4cell embryo's are the best. The scientist wants to try to leave the embryos in the lab to grow to the blastocyst stage as this gives us a much better chance at pregnancy. By tomorrow he wants to see at least two 8cell embryos to be able to go ahead and leave them to blastocyst stage. He thinks the three 4cell embryo's should split and be 8cell embryo's tomorrow, and there is also a 50-60% chance the 2cell embryo will split into an 8cell. You still with me? As for the one 6cell embryo, he didn't really say what might happen to that overnight. So basically we need two or more 8cell embryos tomorrow morning to progress to Sunday for transfer, and we so so so want that!!! If we have less than two 8cell embryo's we will do a transfer tomorrow, which is ok, plenty of babies have come from a 3day transfer, its just that we want a 5day transfer for a better success rate. We only had a 3day transfer with our last cycle. The scientist will ring me at 8am tomorrow and tell me the verdict, if I do have to do a transfer tomorrow it will be at 10am.


There are still so many steps to get through! If we do get two or more 8cells tomorrow, they then still have to survive and split correctly and turn into a blastocyst for transfer Sunday. We then have the extra stress of the possible OHSS. When we go in for transfer we need to pray that I don't have it, otherwise transfer will be cancelled and all embryos will be frozen for later use. So as you can tell, me and gardener guy still have alot on our mind. This is a damn struggle for this baby, every single day, every single step. I hope this gives people a better understanding as to what really is involved, IVF is not a miracle cure, it's not just "oh yah, we are having IVF, we will get a baby", there are so many steps involved in even getting to the point of putting the embryo inside the uterus, every day is like walking on a tightrope, you could fall off at any second and the show could all be all over.

As for the OHSS, I still am no clearer as to weather I have it. I feel quite bloated and when I push on my stomach its tender and sore, but I can walk, I'm not in loads of pain, I just really don't know. Is this normal to still be sore after retrieval? I hope it is just because they drained so many more follicles than last time, I don't know. And ideas ladies? do you think what I am feeling is normal and ok? I had retrieval on Tuesday, its now Thursday. Am I just being to hard on myself and should I realize I only just had surgery and my body is just recovering? I'm impatient, I want to feel 100% 5minutes after surgery!

After this news today I am really starting to believe this might just actually happen!! we are getting closer, we might just get our baby!! It's hard not to get carried away, but I do need to pull myself back as those embryos are literally hanging on by a thread, anything could happen overnight, I don't want to get to excited. But at this stage we are feeling quite good.


So till tomorrow we hold our breath and pray they keep doing the right thing in the lab. Only 20 hours till we find out how our little embryos are doing. Now embryos, if you get a chance to pop out of your petri dish today and read my blog, please please do all you can to hang on in there, don't give up, don't be lazy and just float around in all that goo, work hard at growing, and in the end I will provide you with a cozy home for 9 months with all the facilities you would expect, and after your 9 month there you will come out and live in an even better home and meet a really funny, cute, wonderful caring man and a very overly excited woman who wont stop hugging you, don't be afraid of her, that will be me. Sound's like a pretty sweet deal right?

13 comments:

  1. I think it is great the way your posts lately have been so helpful for IVF Newbies. I remember I appreciated your blog when I went through my cycle...
    oh wow...I am glad they all made it! That is great!! I can't wait to hear the news tomorrow. Do they talk about what grade with the cell count. I had two 8cell grade two.
    seriously..don't be hard on yourself..two days after the retrieval I was in bed with a heating pad. The third day I felt a little better. It was hard...i would drink loads and loads of water...and gatorade if you can. Seriously..the trigger shot often slows your digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds great for this cycle. Crossing my fingers this is it for you! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great news so far, wishing you a smooth transfer
    It sounds like you might have some mild OHSS, I would let your RE office know in case they have special instructions for you and rest up and take it very easy. hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question, are you having 2 put in? One on Friday and one on Sunday? Excuse my notknowingness x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Debs, no will just be the one put in. Hopefully Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cgd, Have spoke to my nurse and she assures me what I am feeling can be quite typical and may not mean it's OHSS. She said I will still feel some pain. So time will tell, can only just wait till they do the abdomen scan on transfer day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am wishing you all the best.....keep growing strong little ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful news that all five are growing! Grow, embies, grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are fine as far as OHSS goes. By two days after retrieval I knew I had it BAD! It sounds like you may just be having symptoms from the retrieval, or possibly a very minor case of OHSS, but nothing to worry about. So, no more worrying about that! I'm crossing all fingers and toes that you guys have some awesome blasties to transfer on Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. I was very sore after retrieval but I had 29 eggs retrieved so I assumed it was from having 29+ little pinpricks in my ovaries. I'd ask your nurse/RE if you continue to feel sore. Better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete